Thursday, April 28, 2005

Discovery on Little Hog Island, Part 3

I just fed Spuddy, gave him fresh water (washed the dish), washed the cat food cans etc. He’s eating. The bad news is that my laptop seems to have died. It will not turn on and does not indicate that it is getting any power. The green power light was on when I got here and went off when I tried to turn it on.
This will make it harder to do my retreat assignment.

This story begins two posts earlier. Scroll down to read it sequentially or
Click here to read part 1
Click here to read part 2

Discovery on Little Hog Island, Part 3


He looked her up and down. "You don’t look wet," he said.

"No, I took your advice and did not swim out here." Dana heard her voice come out calmly and normally, though inside it felt squeezed with fear.

"Good choice," the man said, gruffly, his voice low and gravelly. "So what did you do, fly?"

"I paddled."

"At night? Why are you standing in the munitions shed? What are you doing here?"

"I was just curious. I wanted to look around."

"You could see better during the day. Name's Skillin. Buck Skillin."

He held out his hand. She took it gingerly. It was warm and dry. Hers was clammy with fear. "And you?"

"Dana. Dana Waznik."

"Wanna Beer?"

"A beer?" Dana heard her voice rise with surprise, almost incredulity.

"You a TEE-totaler?"

"No. I just didn't expect you to offer me beer?"

"Why not, seems like the polite thing to do when you have company. Come on, I'll introduce you to the guys."

Buck Skillin turned and walked back toward the stone building. Dana followed, still feeling nervous. She didn’t know if she should bolt for the darkness, grab her kayak, and paddle madly away. But she didn’t. She followed Buck. He held the door for her.

"Boys," he said, "We have company. Four faces turned toward Dana. They all rose to their feet. They did not look happy.

next installment (part 4)

* * *
I took a break for a second round of Spuddy petting and gave Spuddy a little more food. He seemed to want it.

No comments: