Saturday, May 07, 2005

Discovery at Little Hog Island, Part 13

I'm doing a quick mini-retreat at home this morning while Keith drinks his coffee and reads the paper. We are going to Cranbrook today with Sam and Joan, so I don't know if I'll have time to write later.


Discovery at Little Hog Island, Part 13

part 1; part 12


"Shot?" Dana asked, her voice rising with a clear note of fear and hysteria.

"He was using a gun with a silencer. Probably shot two holes. One going in, one out."

"A gun? With a silencer?" Dana repeated stupidly. Still sounding high and frightened.

"You fell when the kayak surged at the shot and hit your head on a submerged rock. I'll patch the kayak for you. It shouldn’t be too hard to repair."

Dana felt the back of her head. Her hair was wet and matted and under it was a large goose egg. It hurt, and her head throbbed.

Buck helped her out of the dingy and carried the limp kayak up the path to her tent.

"You could report him for damaging your property. I hope you won’t do that."

"How could he shoot out into the dark and be sure he wouldn’t hit me."

"He was in the marines in Nam. Ace shot."

"In the dark?"

"It wasn't that dark. There was a lot of ambient light from the moon. You were looking into the dark woods--he was looking out into the moonlit water."

"Of course, sorry. So tell me again why I shouldn't blow Glenn in for shooting a hole in my Kayak. For banging my head and half-drowning me?"

"Because. I am asking you not to. I'm hoping that'll be enough, if I fix the kayak. Will you let me move you to another Provincial Park? It's only ten miles north and there's a really good colony of arctic and roseate terns nearby. And I will assist you by making arrangements to give you a private tour of the colonies on Little Hog Island. They are totally undisturbed."

"What about Glenn?"

"Let me worry about Glenn. I know his schedule. Deal?" Buck held out his hand.

"Deal," Dana said, and they shook on it.

Buck had the sleeping bag rolled up and the tent down and folded and the cook kits stowed in their sacks. He moved around the camp like well-oiled machinery, like a man accustomed to lots of work. It would have taken Dana hours to do what he did in only a few minutes.

She watched him pack her BMW. He was leaving room for himself. "I can't take you with me," she said, "I don't have a spare helmet with me."

"That's okay; the cops are all at the donut shop right now. I trust you. We can make it there before they get off break."

part 14

No comments: