Thursday, May 05, 2005

Discovery on Little Hog Island, part 11

I’m taking my “retreat” at home this morning. Unfortunately, even though it looks like a brilliantly sunny day, I may not be able to go out because I have so much to do. When I go out to Belle Isle or Metrobeach, I loose time driving there. An hour round trip to either spot. I’m worried about my work. WAHN! I want to go out. But it’s unlikely, so here’s today’s retreat entry.

Discovery at Little Hog Island, Part 11

Part 1, part 10

Something rattled in the bushes. A soft bumping, a strange swish, then silence. Odd sound, she thought with a shiver. Familiar. Owl.

"An owl," Buck said. "Great horned, probably. So, are you sure you’re not a detective?" His grip loosened on her arm, but he did not release it.

"I'm a kindergarten teacher."

"Why are you studying shoreline ecology?"

"I may want to teach at the college level sometime, part or full time."
"Big jump from Kindergarten."

"Yup." He released her and they walked down the dark trail. Dana pulled her kayak from the bushes.

"Wow! Very well-hidden. Are you sure you’re not a detective?"

"Positive." She placed the kayak into the water and Buck gave the kayak a gentle shove. It glided a few feet out into the dark shining water.

"If you change your mind about the terns . . ."

"If you remember anything about Billy Owen . . ."

"You might just want to let that rest." Buck said.

"Yes. You do," came a voice from the shadows. It was Glenn. “Why don’t you move on to another campground? There are lots of tern colonies in the islands. We don’t want you here.” She heard Glenn’s voice, rumbling low in the darkness. He was carrying a huge flashlight, and he shined it right in her eyes. Buck knocked it to one side as Dana raised a hand to shield her eyes. She was blinded for a moment, and felt the kayak suddenly tipping. She fell toward the dark water.

Part 12

No comments: